Responsible for: meeting customers, in buildings and beyond, empowering customers and promoting self-service, providing proactive customer services while carrying out a variety of library operations related to circulation and other library business under supervision. This is a first-level position, requiring direct contact with library customers.
- Serve library customers in person, on the telephone, and via e-mail.
- Assist library customers in locating materials and answering circulation, readers’ advisory and directional questions.
- Place and fill requests for materials through the integrated library system (ILS), search for requested materials, notify customer of availability and oversee return of materials borrowed from other libraries. May place requests through interlibrary loan resources.
- Register borrowers and maintain borrower records in the system database. Receive and record payment of service charges and other fees.
- Check in and shelve library materials and empty book drop. Transfer library materials within building; process, pack and unpack materials for delivery between libraries.
- Assist customers in the use of library equipment, the Internet and general office software.
- Learn new procedures for each upgrade of the integrated library system and application software as required.
- Monitor condition of library materials (cleaning and mending), including: books, magazines, and AV materials; process them to Technical Services; may withdraw damaged and worn out materials.
- Process newspapers, magazines and fill displays.
- Pick up and sort mail.
- When regular volunteers unavailable, may make deliveries to homebound customers.
- Perform minor “housekeeping” duties.
- Assist in opening and closing procedures of the library building; may open and close building.
- Compile statistical data for reports.
- May act as LINK Site Liaison.
- Prepare topical displays; may create bulletin board displays.
- May conduct weekly story time and participate in the development of other children’s programs, including the summer reading program.
- Participate in Regional Library committees and projects.
- Assist in the training of new employees and volunteers.
- Assist with programming, special functions, and operations of the library as needed both on-site and in the community i.e. outreach programs.
- Computer data entry, photo copying and other general clerical work as required.
- Answer multi-line telephone and direct calls.
- Other duties consisting of similar and related tasks or of a logical work assignment to the position.
- Able to interact with the public in a friendly, tactful and diplomatic way using excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must be flexible to deal with interruptions while maintaining composure.
- Good customer service skills and experience working with the public. Ability to focus on customers.
- Willing to initiate communication with customers, and willing and able to take the initiative to solve customer’s issues.
- Professional in attitude and behavior towards everyone – customers and co-workers.
- Knowledge of computer office software with accuracy and attention to detail and keyboarding proficiency.
- Able to effectively use the Internet, email, etc., and learn other emerging technologies.
- Able to learn and operate an automated library catalog and interlibrary loan resources system with a high degree of efficiency.
- Able to organize work, set priorities and use time effectively and work independently to meet deadlines.
- Able to adapt readily to change.
- Able to interpret library policies and procedures.
- Able to exhibit enthusiasm and initiative for duties.
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A high school diploma required
- Some experience in a library or related clerical work.
- Customer service experience preferred.
Able to communicate clearly using English, both written and oral.
Certificates and Licenses:
Valid drivers license required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Work schedule includes evening/weekend hours. Must be able to work a flexible staffing model.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to stand for long periods of time as needed.
- Able to lift and carry library equipment up to 40 lbs.
- Must be able to reach or bend to retrieve materials on low or high shelves.
- Must be able to use hands to grasp a barcode scanner for extended periods of time. The hands are also used to finger, handle or feel and for keyboarding.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job are close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to drive to other locations required.
38 hours per week including evening and some Saturdays. Benefits include: paid holiday, vacation & sick leave; paid single health insurance coverage; paid $20,000 term life insurance coverage; Public Employees Retirement Associate (PERA) matching deduction; Social Security (FICA); optional flexible spending plan; optional dental insurance; optional vision insurance; optional deferred compensation plan; option AFLAC policies; six month orientation period. Position represented by employees’ union (AFSCME). Place of employment is the Detroit Lakes branch of Lake Agassiz Regional Library.
Salary: $10.61 per hour
Application forms are required and should be submitted to:
Lake Agassiz Regional Library
118 5th St S
Moorhead, MN 56560
Applications accepted until the position is filled.