Nature of Work:
Under the direction of a Branch or Hub Supervisor, performs a variety of tasks related to library operations designed to assist customers in locating and making use of library materials and resources.
Substitute for Library Assistant and/or Associate, providing service to customers through circulation and related functions.
- Empower customers and promote self service.
- Provide proactive customer service, meeting customers where they are, determining customer wants and needs, in buildings and beyond.
- Serve customers in person, on the telephone, and via e-mail.
- Assist customers in locating materials, both print and electronic.
- Answer circulation and directional questions.
- Place and fill requests for materials through automated catalog and interlibrary loan resources, search for requested materials, notify customer of availability, and oversee return of materials borrowed from other libraries.
- Collect and accurately record payment of service charges and other fees.
- Register borrowers and maintain borrower records in the system database.
- Check in, discharge, and shelve library materials; empty book drops.
- Transfer library materials within building; process, pack and unpack materials for delivery between libraries.
- Assist customers in the use of AV equipment, photocopiers, public access computers, self-checkout, and other library equipment; schedule and troubleshoot public computers/printers/scanners.
- Learn new computer procedures for each upgrade of the automated system and computer programs, as required.
- Process newspapers and magazines.
- May make deliveries to homebound customers.
- May perform minor “housekeeping” duties.
- Assist in opening and closing procedures of the library building; may open and close building.
- May conduct occasional storytimes and assist with other children’s programs, including the summer reading program.
- Assist with programming, special functions, and operations of the library as needed.
- Provide library tours and orientation for the public.
- Answer telephone and direct calls.
- Participate in periodic Substitute training sessions.
- May direct the work of volunteers
- Keep informed of regional policies and procedures.
- Fill displays of library materials as needed.
- At closing, prepare facility for next shift.
- Occasional travel within the LARL region.
- Other duties consisting of similar and related tasks or of a logical work assignment to the position as directed by the appropriate Supervisor and the Assistant Regional Library Director.
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with special needs to perform the essential functions.
An as needed position requiring direct contact with library customers, responsible for carrying out a variety of clerical functions related to circulation or other library business and building functions.
High school diploma. Customer service experience.
- Proficiency in customer service and a commitment to offering the highest levels of such service to customers.
- Knowledge of authors and books in a wide range of reader levels and subject areas.
- Ability to understand and direct interest levels of various library customer groups.
- Ability to interpret library policies, objectives, and services to the general public using friendliness, tact, and diplomacy.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and public relations.
- Proficient in use of a computer and other general office equipment.
- Ability to communicate well both orally and in written English.
- Experience in using library catalogs and applications software.
- Effective decision-making skills
- Ability to travel to branch libraries required.
Certificates and Licenses:
Requires a valid driver’s license and proof of insurance
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
- Ability to lift and carry library equipment weighing over 40 lbs.
- Ability to stand at a public service desk and use a computer keyboard or scanner for extended periods of time.
- Ability to reach and grasp materials with arm extended above the head or stoop to reach materials near the floor.
- Ability to move quickly from place to place within the library.
- Ability to use hands to finger, handle or feel and for keyboarding.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job are close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
This is an as needed, on-call position with daytime, evening, and weekend hours. Due to the limited work hours, there are no benefits with this position. Primary place of employment is the Mahnomen Branch of Lake Agassiz Regional Library, with potential for serving other branches.
Salary: $9.06 per hour
Application forms are required and should be submitted to: HR – Lake Agassiz Regional Library, 118 5th St. S., Moorhead, MN 56560, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: 218-233-7556. Applications accepted until the position is filled.