Responsible for overseeing day-to-day operation of the Detroit Lakes branch of Lake Agassiz Regional Library (LARL), including circulation, reference, programming, outreach, and volunteer coordination, as well as general supervision of, and support to, various assigned branches and LINK Sites.
• Responsible for the provision of library services and programs for all ages in accordance with LARL policies, procedures and guidelines.
• Participate in regional library committees, teams and planning, including the development and evaluation of the strategic plan, policies, procedures, and guidelines.
• Train and mentor staff, and assist as needed in the areas of reference, reader’s advisory, and information services.
• Create and maintain a supportive and encouraging atmosphere for employees and library customers.
• Work with other LARL employees to create and ensure a cohesive training experience.
• Act as ex-officio member of the local library board; act as a consultant to Friends of the Library groups and other groups supporting the mission and services of the library.
• Act as staff representative to the City in matters relating to the library building, including maintenance and repairs and issues surrounding safety and security for customers, staff, and equipment.
• Plan, initiate, coordinate (in conjunction with LARL) and maintain cooperative and collaborative partnerships with other community agencies and organizations.
• Keep abreast of local, statewide, and national issues that may affect library services and the library community.
• Actively participate in local, statewide, and national library advocacy initiatives.
• Participate in collection selection and deselection in conjunction with the Collection Development Librarian.
• Work with the Marketing Coordinator to plan, develop, and implement public relations and marketing initiatives to promote LARL, its programs and services.
• Interpret library policies, objectives, and services to employees and the public.
• Oversee purchase and maintenance of furniture and equipment in Hub locations.
• Responsible for branch and LINK Site cash receipts and inventory.
• Stay informed of local government, planning, and budget issues that have the potential to impact local branch, LINK Site and LARL system efforts.
• Attend meetings and participate in staff training.
• Hire, train, discharge, assign, direct, review and discipline personnel and adjust grievances in conjunction with the Regional Library Director, and the Director of Finance and Human Resources.
• Other duties consisting of similar and related tasks or of a logical work assignment to the position as directed by the Regional Library Director.
• Independent judgment and initiative are required in applying library policies and in training and supervising branch/LINK Site staff.
• Strong Technology skills (familiarity with PC’s, Internet, current and emerging technologies).
• Strong commitment to excellent internal and external customer service and community relations skills.
• Demonstrated leadership qualities with excellent communication and problem solving skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills required.
• Must be forward-thinking, flexible and able to deal with frequent interruptions.
• Strong commitment to the theories of library science, while keeping abreast of emerging library trends.
• Extensive knowledge of standard library policies and procedures.
• Extensive knowledge of literature and materials in a wide subject area.
• Experience with reference sources and research techniques using online and other electronic reference resources.
• Ability to interpret library policies, objectives and services to community groups and the general public and to establish and maintain effective working and public relations.
• Ability to plan, organize and complete daily work and special projects efficiently and effectively.
• Ability to use a computer for the purposes of word processing, spreadsheets and database management; ability to use an automated catalog, circulation systems, online databases and Internet search techniques along with general office machines.
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function.
Those who do not meet the full range of qualifications may be considered on the basis of education, experience, ability and willingness to learn the required skills/tasks.
Education and Experience:
• 4-year college degree required (BA/BS).
• Supervisory experience required.
• Masters degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited program preferred.
• 3-5 years professional library experience working in a public or an academic library preferred.
Ability to communicate well both orally and in writing using English.
Certificates and Licenses:
A valid drivers’ license and ability to travel frequently to other branch libraries required.
Plan, direct, and supervise the work of branch/LINK Site employees in a manner conducive to full performance and high morale.
Work location is in the Detroit Lakes branch of Lake Agassiz Regional Library. Full-time, salaried (negotiable – based on education and experience), exempt position with an excellent benefits package including: single health insurance policy (paid in full), $20,000 life insurance policy, flexible spending plan, membership in the Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA), EAP benefit, optional Deferred Compensation plan, optional dental and vision plan, paid vacation, holiday and sick leave.
Submit resume, cover letter, and required application to:
Human Resources, Lake Agassiz Regional Library
118 5th St S, Moorhead, MN 56560
Application forms are available here.