This is an administrative position supporting the mission of Lake Agassiz Regional Library to enrich lives and strengthen communities. This position requires specialized knowledge and expertise in all areas of public library service, with a focus on reference and reader’s advisory services, library instruction, programming for adults and customer service. This position requires a considerable amount of independent judgment with supervisory responsibilities under the general direction of the Moorhead Library Director.
- Foster a supportive, encouraging and positive team and work environment
- Schedule and direct work of staff and volunteers at the Moorhead Library
- Provide clear expectations and mentorship for successful job performance
- Hire, discharge, and discipline in conjunction with Hub Supervisor, Executive Director and HR Director
- Act as Librarian-in-Charge in the absence of the Moorhead Library Director
- Mediate and resolve customers complaints and concerns
- Create excellent and memorable customer experiences
- Build relationships and partnerships to promote the library and meet community needs
- Explore and meet the information needs of various audiences in the community
- Provide adult services support and training region-wide
- Work with other LARL employees to create a cohesive training experience
- Troubleshoot and instruct in the use of computer/technology and device issues
- Work with the Marketing Director to plan and promote events, programs and services
- Provide library tours, orientation and instruction to community members
- Keep abreast of and promote current library services and programs to customers
- Participate in collection selection and deselection
- Responsible for keeping the library looking clean and attractive
- Keep abreast of policy, procedural and instructional changes
- Watch for and recognize security risks and thefts to ensure a safe and secure environment
- Participate in regional library committees, teams and projects
- Keep abreast of local, statewide, and national issues that may affect library services
- Inform executive director of project progression, needs and outcomes
- Other duties consisting of similar and related tasks or of a logical work assignment to the position as directed by the Moorhead Library Director and the LARL Executive Director
- Professional in attitude and behavior
- Willing to initiate communication and engage with customers and community partners
- Commitment to providing excellent customer service and a welcoming atmosphere
- Demonstrate independent judgment and initiative
- Able to interpret and enforce library policy and procedures
- Forward thinking and innovative
- Demonstrate leadership qualities and problem solving skills
- Commitment to the theories of library science, library trends
- Extensive knowledge of standard library policies and procedures
- Able to work in a busy public service atmosphere with frequent interruptions
- Able to maintain confidentiality and use discretion in customer relations
- Able to work independently or as part of a team
- Able to be flexible and continuously learn, unlearn and relearn
- Strong technology skills and familiarity with emerging technologies
- Able to organize work and set priorities to meet deadlines
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Continually expanding knowledge of authors and books in a wide range of reader levels and subject areas
- Able to exhibit enthusiasm for library services and library related tasks
- A commitment to diversity, equality and inclusion
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Four year college degree required.
- Masters in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited program preferred. May consider an equivalent combination of library experience, training, and relevant work experience.
- 3-5 years of supervisory experience
- 3-5 years of library experience
- Effective customer service experience
- A valid driver’s license
Able to communicate clearly using English, both written and oral.
- The noise level is usually quiet with exceptions during programs or events.
- The work schedule includes days, evenings and weekend hours.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to stand, walk, crouch, stoop, squat, twist, climb, push/pull, up to 40 lbs.
- Able to use hands to grasp a barcode scanner and keyboard for extended periods.
- The ability to hear, understand, and distinguish speech and/or other sounds.
- Clarity of vision at approximately 20 inches or less (i.e., working with small objects or reading small print), including use of computers.
- Clarity of vision at 20 feet or more. This is not just the ability to see a person or object, but the ability to recognize features as well.
- Ability to drive to other locations as needed.
General Notes: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Additional details will be specified by the Executive Director. The employee will also perform other reasonable business duties as assigned by the supervisor or other management staff. Management reserves the right to change job responsibilities, duties and hours as needs prevail. LARL is an at-will employer. This job description is a guideline and does not constitute a written or implied employment contract.
- This is a full-time salaried, exempt position requiring some evening/weekend hours.
- Place of employment is the Moorhead Branch with occasional travel to other branch libraries as required.
- Benefits include: Paid single health and life insurance; paid holiday, vacation & sick leave; optional dental, vision, and AFLAC insurance options; optional deferred compensation plan; flexible spending plan; enrollment in Minnesota Public Employees Retirement plan (PERA); F.I.C.A.
- Six-month orientation period.
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary Range: $44,000-52,000
Fully paid single health insurance coverage and paid holiday, vacation and sick leave.
Application form are required and should be submitted along with a Cover Letter to:
Human Resources, Lake Agassiz Regional Library
118 5th St S, Moorhead, MN 56560
E-mail: email@example.com Fax: 218-233-3757
Applications accepted until the position is filled.