Circulation Supervisor – Library Associate II (Moorhead, MN Public Library)
This is an administrative position supporting the mission of Lake Agassiz Regional Library to enrich lives and strengthen communities, and plays an important role in the success of the Moorhead Public Library. Position requires contact with library customers, the handling of materials, reference and information services, programming and outreach, and general daily library operations. This position requires a considerable amount of independent judgment with supervisory responsibilities under the general direction of the Moorhead Library Director.
Supervisory and Management Responsibilities:
- Responsible for day to day operations and success of the library
- Fosters a supportive, encouraging and positive team and work environment
- Hires, discharges, and disciplines in conjunction with Moorhead Library Director, Executive Director and HR Director
- Acts as Librarian-in-Charge in the absence of the library director
- Manages facility issues in coordination with the library director
- Supervises library assistants and volunteers, and acts as a mentor to library associates
- Provides clear expectations, training and mentorship for successful job performance
- Provides support and training to other LARL locations
- Creates excellent customer experiences – making customers feel welcome while providing positive and memorable interactions
- Mediates and resolves customers complaints and concerns
- Provide reader’s advisory, reference and information services
- Explore and meet the information needs of various audiences in the community
- Build relationships and partnerships to promote the library and meet community needs
- Assists and instructs customers with the downloading of eBooks and eAudiobooks
- Troubleshooting and instructing in the use of computer/technology and device issues
- May develop, implement and promote year-round programming for youth of all ages
- Provides library tours, orientation and instruction to community members
- Keeps abreast of and promotes current library services and programs to customers
- Participates in collection selection and deselection in conjunction with the Collection Development Librarian
- Arrange and display materials to promote collection and increase circulation
- Performs all circulation related functions
- Assists customers with the location and use of library materials
- Assists customers with printing, photocopying, faxing and scanning
- Collect and record fines, fees, service charges and prepare bank deposits
- Responsible for keeping the library looking clean and attractive
- Keeps abreast of policy, procedural and instructional changes
- Assist with the training and direct the work of staff and volunteers under the direction of the appropriate supervisor
- Watch for and recognize security risks and thefts to ensure a safe and secure environment
- Participates in regional library committees, teams and projects
- Keep abreast of local, statewide, and national issues that may affect library services and the library community
- Conducts and attends meetings and training sessions
- Performs related duties as assigned
- Pick up and sort mail.
- Oversee deliveries to homebound customers
- Compile statistical data for reports
- Assist in opening and closing procedures
- Manages and oversees maintenance of library equipment
- May substitute in other LARL locations as needed
- This job description is not intended as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job
- Able to communicate effectively and interact in a friendly, tactful and diplomatic way
- Professional in attitude and behavior
- Willing to initiate communication and engage with customers
- Commitment to providing excellent customer service and a welcoming atmosphere
- Must possess good judgment and decision making skills
- Able to work in a busy public service atmosphere with frequent interruptions
- Able to maintain confidentiality and use discretion in customer relations
- Able to work independently or as part of a team
- Able to be flexible and continuously learn, unlearn and relearn
- Knowledge of common computer software and keyboarding proficiency
- Strong technology skills and familiarity with emerging technologies
- Able to learn and operate the online library catalog with a high degree of efficiency
- Able to organize work and set priorities to meet deadlines
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Continually expanding knowledge of authors and books in a wide range of reader levels and subject areas
- Able to interpret and enforce library policy and procedures
- Able to exhibit enthusiasm for library services and library related tasks
- A commitment to diversity, equality and inclusion
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Graduation from a four-year college or university
- Effective customer service experience preferred.
- A valid driver’s license.
Able to communicate clearly using English, both written and oral.
- The noise level is usually quiet with exceptions during programs or events.
- The work schedule includes days, evenings and weekend hours.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to stand, walk, crouch, stoop, squat, twist, climb, push/pull, up to 40 lbs.
- Able to use hands to grasp a barcode scanner and keyboard for extended periods.
- The ability to hear, understand, and distinguish speech and/or other sounds.
- Clarity of vision at approximately 20 inches or less (i.e., working with small objects or reading small print), including use of computers.
- Clarity of vision at 20 feet or more. This is not just the ability to see a person or object, but the ability to recognize features as well.
- Ability to drive to other locations as needed.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Additional details will be specified by the Executive Director. The employee will also perform other reasonable business duties as assigned by the supervisor or other management staff. Management reserves the right to change job responsibilities, duties and hours as needs prevail. LARL is an at-will employer. This job description is a guideline and does not constitute a written or implied employment contract.
- This is a full-time salaried, exempt position requiring some evening/weekend hours.
- Place of employment is the Moorhead Branch with occasional travel to other branch libraries as required.
- Benefits include: Paid single health and life insurance; paid holiday, vacation & sick leave; optional dental, vision, and AFLAC insurance options; optional deferred compensation plan; flexible spending plan; enrollment in Minnesota Public Employees Retirement plan (PERA); F.I.C.A.
- Six-month orientation period.
- $40,000 to $46,000 depending on experience.
Application forms are required and available and should be submitted along with a Cover Letter to:
Human Resources, Lake Agassiz Regional Library,
118 5th St S, Moorhead, MN 56560,
e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org; Fax: 218-233-7556.