This is a first-level position that supports the mission of Lake Agassiz Regional Library to enrich lives and strengthen communities; position requires contact with library customers, the handling of materials, and general daily library operations.
- Creates excellent customer experiences – making customers feel welcome and providing positive and memorable interactions.
- Keeps abreast of and promotes current library services and programs to customers.
- Registers customers for library accounts and assists with account maintenance, including collecting fines and fees.
- Renews and reserves materials for customers and helps customers navigate the web catalog.
- Assists customers with reader’s advisory and the location and use of library materials.
- Answers directional questions.
- Checks materials out and assists customers with the use of self-checkout stations.
- Assists and instructs customers with the downloading of eBooks and eAudiobooks, and other downloadable resources.
- Assists with computer use, printing and technology questions.
- Assists customers with photocopying, faxing, scanning and other related tasks.
- Responsible for checking in materials, shelving returned library materials, maintaining the shelving order and filling displays.
- Monitoring the condition of library materials and equipment.
- Pack and unpack delivery, and process newspapers and magazines.
- Responsible for keeping the library looking clean and attractive.
- Assumes responsibility for the library as directed in the absence of a librarian-in-charge.
- Keeps abreast of policy, procedural and instructional changes.
- Assists customers by directing questions to appropriate staff.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Pick up and sort mail.
- Perform minor housekeeping duties, such as dusting.
- May prepare and deliver items to homebound customers.
- May compile statistical data for reports.
- Assist in opening and closing procedures.
- Create book and bulletin board displays.
- May assist in weekly storytimes and other outreach and programming opportunities.
- Assist in the training of new employees and volunteers.
- Balance the cash drawer and make deposits as needed.
- May substitute in other LARL locations as needed.
- Able to communicate effectively and interact in a friendly, tactful and diplomatic way.
- Professional in attitude and behavior.
- Willing to initiate communication and engage with customers.
- Able to work in a busy public service atmosphere with frequent interruptions.
- Able to maintain confidentiality and provide outstanding customer service.
- Able to work independently or as part of a team.
- Able to be flexible and continuously learn, unlearn and relearn.
- Professional in attitude and behavior towards everyone – customers and coworkers.
- Knowledge of common computer software and keyboarding proficiency.
- Able to effectively use the internet, email, social media and emerging technologies.
- Able to learn and operate the web catalog with a high degree of efficiency.
- Able to organize work and set priorities to meet deadlines.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Able to adapt readily to change.
- Able to interpret and follow library policy and procedures.
- Exhibits enthusiasm for library services and library related tasks.
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A high school diploma.
- Library, customer service, or related work experience preferred.
- A valid driver’s license.
Able to communicate clearly using English, both written and oral.
- The noise level is usually quiet with exceptions during programs or events.
- The work schedule includes days, evenings and weekend hours.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to stand, walk, crouch, stoop, squat, twist, climb, push/pull, up to 40 lbs.
- Able to use hands to grasp a barcode scanner and keyboard for extended periods of time.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job are close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to drive to other locations as needed.
14 hours per week including evening and some Saturdays. Six-month orientation period. Place of employment is the Detroit Lakes Branch of Lake Agassiz Regional Library.
Salary: $12.17 per hour
Applications accepted until the position is filled.