This is a first-level position that supports the mission of Lake Agassiz Regional Library to enrich lives and strengthen communities; position requires contact with library customers, the handling of materials, and general daily library operations.
- Create excellent customer experiences
- Keep abreast of and promotes current library services and programs to customers
- Register customers for library accounts and assist with account maintenance
- Renew and reserve materials for customers
- Assist customers with understanding and using the web catalog
- Assist customers with reader’s advisory and the location and use of library materials
- Answer directional questions
- Check materials out and assist customers with the use of self-checkout stations
- Assist and instruct customers with the downloading of eBooks and eAudiobooks
- Assist with computer use, printing and technology questions
- Assist customers with printing, photocopying, faxing and scanning
- Check in and shelve returned library materials
- Maintain shelving order and fill displays
- Monitor the condition of library materials and equipment
- Pack and unpack delivery, and process newspapers and magazines
- Responsible for keeping the library looking clean and attractive
- Assume responsibility for the library as directed in the absence of a librarian-in-charge
- Keeps abreast of policy, procedural and instructional changes
- Assists customers by directing questions to appropriate staff
- Attend meetings and trainings
- Performs related duties as assigned
- Pick up and sort mail
- Perform minor housekeeping duties, such as dusting
- May prepare and deliver items to homebound customers
- May compile statistical data for reports
- Assist in opening and closing procedures
- Create book and bulletin board displays
- May assist in weekly Storytimes and other outreach and programming opportunities
- Assist in the training of new employees and volunteers
- Balance the cash drawer and make deposits as needed
- May substitute in other LARL locations as needed
- Able to communicate effectively and interact in a friendly, tactful and diplomatic way
- Professional and respectful in attitude and behavior
- Willing to initiate communication and engage with customers
- Able to work in a busy public service atmosphere with frequent interruptions
- Able to maintain confidentiality and provide outstanding customer service
- Able to work independently or as part of a team
- Able to be flexible and continuously learn, unlearn and relearn
- Knowledge of common computer software and keyboarding proficiency
- Able to effectively use the internet, email, social media and emerging technologies
- Able to learn and operate the web catalog with a high degree of efficiency
- Able to organize work and set priorities to meet deadlines
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Able to adapt readily to change
- Able to interpret and follow library policy and procedures
- Exhibits enthusiasm for library services and library related tasks
- A commitment to diversity, equality and inclusion
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A high school diploma.
- Library, customer service, or related work experience preferred.
- A valid driver’s license.
Able to communicate clearly using English, both written and oral.
- The noise level is usually quiet with exceptions during programs or events.
- The work schedule includes days, evenings and weekend hours.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to stand, walk, crouch, stoop, squat, twist, climb, push/pull, up to 40 lbs.
- Able to use hands to grasp a barcode scanner and keyboard for extended periods.
- The ability to hear, understand, and distinguish speech and/or other sounds.
- Clarity of vision at approximately 20 inches or less (i.e., working with small objects or reading small print), including use of computers.
- Clarity of vision at 20 feet or more. This is not just the ability to see a person or object, but the ability to recognize features as well.
- Ability to drive to other locations as needed.
25 hours per week, incl. evenings/Sat. Benefits include: paid holiday, vacation & sick leave; enrollment in Minnesota Public Employees Retirement plan (PERA); Optional Life Insurance; Optional Deferred Compensation Plan; F.I.C.A.; Optional union membership (AFSCME); six month orientation period. Place of employment is the Moorhead Branch of Lake Agassiz Regional Library.
Salary: $13.17 per hour
Applications accepted until the position is filled.