Library Associate I – Moorhead, MN Public Library
This position requires independent judgement and supports the mission of Lake Agassiz Regional Library to enrich lives and strengthen communities; position requires contact with library customers, the handling of materials, reference and information services, programming and outreach, and general daily library operations.
In Larger Branch Libraries (Librarian):
- Works within a team environment to provide library services and ensure the success of the library.
- Acts as Librarian-in-Charge in the absence of a supervisor.
- Participates in youth services team, including planning and carrying out youth programs and events.
- Provides support to Hub locations as needed.
- May act as LINK Site Liaison
- Create excellent customer experiences – making customers feel welcome and providing positive and memorable interactions.
- Mediate and resolve customers complaints and concerns.
- Provide reader’s advisory, reference, interlibrary loan services, information and referral services and answers directional questions, fostering information literacy.
- Explore and meet the information needs of various audiences in the community.
- Assist and instruct customers with the downloading of eBooks and eAudiobooks, and other downloadable resources.
- Troubleshooting and instructing in the use of computer/technology and device issues.
- Cultivate relationships and partnerships with leaders from the community, agencies, organizations, and schools to promote the library and its resources and meet community needs.
- Support community needs by planning and executing meaningful and purposeful library programs or workshops in both the library and through outreach in the community.
- Work in conjunction with Supervisor and the Marketing Coordinator to plan, develop and implement public relations and marketing initiatives, including the use of social networking sites, or other emerging technologies, to promote the branch, LARL and its services.
- Provide library tours, orientation and instruction to community members.
- Develop, implement and promote year-round programming for youth of all ages.
- Keep abreast of and promote current library services and programs to customers.
- Participate in collection selection and deselection in conjunction with the Collection Development Librarian.
- Arrange and display materials to promote collection and increase circulation.
- Perform all circulation related functions.
- Assist customers with the location and use of library materials.
- Assist customers with printing, photocopying, faxing and scanning.
- Collect and accurately record fines, fees, service charges and prepare monthly bank deposits.
- Responsible for keeping the library looking clean and attractive.
- Keep abreast of policy, procedural and instructional changes.
- Assist with the training and direct the work of staff and volunteers under the direction of the appropriate supervisor.
- Watch for and recognize security risks and thefts to ensure a safe and secure environment.
- Attend meetings and trainings.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Pick up and sort mail.
- Perform minor housekeeping duties, such as dusting.
- Prepare and deliver items to homebound customers.
- Compile statistical data for reports.
- Assist in opening and closing procedures.
- May substitute in other LARL locations as needed.
- Participate in regional teams and committees
- Prepare book and bulletin board displays.
- Balance the cash drawer and make deposits as needed.
- Other duties consisting of similar and related tasks or assignments relating to the location or the Hub.
- This job description is not intended as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
- Able to communicate effectively and interact in a friendly, tactful and diplomatic way.
- Professional in attitude and behavior.
- Willing to initiate communication and engage with customers.
- Commitment to providing excellent customer service and a welcoming atmosphere.
- Must possess good judgment and decision making skills.
- Able to work in a busy public service atmosphere with frequent interruptions.
- Able to maintain confidentiality and use discretion in customer relations.
- Able to work independently or as part of a team.
- Able to be flexible and continuously learn, unlearn and relearn.
- Knowledge of common computer software and keyboarding proficiency.
- Able to effectively use the internet, email, social media and other emerging technologies.
- Able to learn and operate the online library catalog with a high degree of efficiency.
- Able to organize work and set priorities to meet deadlines.
- Able to adapt readily to change.
- Accuracy in clerical skills and attention to detail.
- Continually expanding knowledge of authors and books in a wide range of reader levels and subject areas.
- Able to interpret and enforce library policy and procedures.
- Able to exhibit enthusiasm for library services and library related tasks.
- A commitment to diversity, equality and inclusion.
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Graduation from a four-year college or university is preferred, but may consider an equivalent combination of library experience, training, and relevant work experience.
- Effective customer service experience preferred.
- A valid driver’s license.
Able to communicate clearly using English, both written and oral.
- The noise level is usually quiet with exceptions during programs or events.
- The work schedule includes days, evenings and weekend hours.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to stand, walk, crouch, stoop, squat, twist, climb, push/pull, up to 40 lbs.
- Able to use hands to grasp a barcode scanner and keyboard for extended periods of time.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job are close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to drive to other locations as needed.
This position is 40 hours per week including evening and some Saturdays. Benefits include: paid holiday, vacation & sick leave; paid single health insurance coverage; paid $20,000 term life insurance coverage; Public Employees Retirement Associate (PERA); Social Security (FICA); optional flexible spending plan; optional dental insurance; optional vision insurance; optional deferred compensation plan; optional AFLAC insurance policies; six month orientation period. Position represented by employees’ union (AFSCME). Place of employment is the Moorhead Branch of Lake Agassiz Regional Library with occasional travel to other branch libraries and LINK sites required.
Application form are required and should be submitted along with a Cover Letter to:
Human Resources, Lake Agassiz Regional Library,
118 5th St S, Moorhead, MN 56560
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: 218-233-3757.
Applications accepted until the position is filled.