Accompanies library staff on Book Truck stops throughout the community during the summer months. Performs a variety of library duties, under the direction of an appropriate supervisor, designed to stimulate and increase library use by all. Assists library customers in locating and making use of library materials and resources; provides timely and accurate information and presents library programming at Book Truck stops.
- Assist library staff in planning, preparing and presenting outreach programs for all ages
- Empower customers and promote self-service
- Foster information literacy
- Provide proactive customer service, meeting customers where they are, determining customer wants and needs, connecting them to appropriate library or community resources
- Assist library staff in connecting with leaders in community programs, organizations and schools to promote the library and its resources, making occasional visits to schools and other institutions, participating in community celebrations and events
- May serve customers in person, on the telephone, by e-mail or other means of communication
- May collect and accurately record fines, fees, service charges and other monies
- Maintain various records and compile data for statistical reports
- Provide service to customers through the catalog, readers’ advisory, interlibrary loan, and reference services, including use of the Internet and online databases
- Arrange and display materials to promote circulation
- Other duties consist of similar and related tasks or of a logical work assignment to the position as directed by the appropriate supervisor and/or the Regional Library Director. Watch for and recognize security risks and thefts and know how to prevent or handle these situations.
- This job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
- Good customer service skills and experience working with the public.
- Ability to interact with friendliness, tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to communicate an enthusiasm for and commitment to library services.
- Willingness to learn and practice approved library methods and procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions in English.
- Continually expanding knowledge of authors and books in a wide range of reader levels and subject areas.
- Willingness to explore and meet the information needs of various library customer groups.
- Ability to interpret library policies, objectives, and services to community groups and the general public.
- Ability to make rapid analytical reviews of library materials in all subject matters and reader areas
- Ability to learn and operate an automated system with high degree of efficiency
- Proficient skill with computers and other general office equipment
- Ability to adapt gracefully to constant change.
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Graduation from a four-year college preferred, but may consider an equivalent combination of library experience, training, and relevant work experience
- Effective customer service experience preferred.
- Experience in (or ability to learn) the use of integrated library systems and applications software.
Clear communication in both written and oral English.
Certificates and Licenses:
Valid driver’s license
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to stand at a public service desk and use a computer keyboard for long periods of time and move quickly from place to place within the library
- Ability to operate a large vehicle
- Able to lift and carry library equipment up to 40 lbs.
- Ability to reach and grasp materials with arm extended above the head or stoop to reach materials near the floor, repeatedly, over an extended period of time
- Must be able to use hands to grasp a barcode scanner for extended periods of time. The hands are also used to finger, handle or feel and for keyboarding.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job are Close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
This is a temporary position from June to August with weekly hours up to 24 hours per week including evening and some Saturdays. Due to the temporary nature of the position there are no benefits with this position. Primary place of employment is the Moorhead Branch of Lake Agassiz Regional Library.
Applications accepted until the position is filled.