Barnesville Public Library History
On October 13, 1949 Barnesville celebrated the Grand Opening of the first Clay County Library Station located in the Justice Room of City Hall. Open only 14 hours during the first month of operation, 144 people registered to become borrowers and 482 books were circulated. Mrs. Bessie Swenson was hired as the first librarian.
During the summer of 1955, the Clay County Library Station received a new home. One of the old Assumption School buildings was purchased and relocated to a site adjacent to the Barnesville city water tower. On May 8, 1956 the new library was open and ready for business.
Gerry Seefeldt was hired January 1, 1970 after the retirement of Mrs. Swenson after 14 years as Barnesville librarian. Mres. Seefeldt served as the librarian for 17 years until the opening of the new library in 1987.
The new library located in the present location opened its doors April 2, 1987. Kay Martens replaced Gerry Seefeldt as teh new librarian in 1987. Shaw Simonsen was hired in November of 1998 to replace Kay Martens.
The current librarian is Stephanie Langer.
In 2008, the Barnesville Friends of the Library worked with local organizations to remodel the patio area in front of the library. In August and September of 2009, the interior of Barnesville Public Library was remodeled as part of the Library of the Future initiative.