Detroit Lakes Public Library History
The first Library Club was formed in Detroit Lakes in 1907. From this group, the idea of a public library was born. The first site of the Detroit Lakes Library was located at the Congregational Church and opened in February of 1908. The following year, E.G. Holmes offered two lots for a new standalone public library.
In 1911, the library qualified for a $10,000 grant from the Carnegie corporation and in May of 1913, the cornerstone of the new library was laid. In November of that same year, the new Detroit Lakes Public Library opened.
In 1974, Detroit Lakes Library entered Lake Agassiz Regional Library. In 1979, planning began to restore the Andrew Carnegie portion of the library and add-on to the library with an addition.
The library with new addition has been in operation since 1989.