The Moorhead Public Library offers Notary Services free of charge, which is available for affidavits, power of attorney, rental agreements, compliance agreements, contracts and more.
Please refer to the following guidelines when using this service:
- Customers seeking Notary Service should call the Moorhead Public Library at 218-233-7594 prior to their visit to ensure a Notary is available.
- Notary Service is not guaranteed.
- Valid government issued photo identification is required of any customer seeking Notary Service
- Notary Service is limited to three (3) documents per person per day.
- The Notary will only attest to documents signed in his/her presence.
- Library Notaries may not notarize any document with blank spaces.
- Notary Service is NOT available for Deeds, Mortgages, Wills, Living Wills, Living Trusts, Codicils or Depositions, as these types of documents can require technical or legal knowledge that is beyond the scope of this free service. We are also unable to notarize copies of vital records (e.g., birth, marriage, death certificates, etc.).
- In situations where a witness is required, the Library will not provide witnesses and witnesses may not be solicited from customers using the Library. In order to serve as a witness, the witness must personally know the individual whose document is being notarized and must be in possession of valid photo identification.
- The Notary and the customer seeking notarization must be able to communicate directly with each other. The Library Notary is not permitted to make use of a translator to communicate with a Notary Service customer.
- Documents in any language other than English will not be notarized at this facility.
- Notaries will not provide service if the customer, document or circumstances of the request for Notary Service raise any issue of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt, or uncertainty for the Library. In this event, the Library Notary may at his/her sole discretion, decline to provide Notary Service.
- Library Notaries may decline to provide notary service in situations that do not comply with the provisions of these guidelines.
- Moorhead Public Library notary staff are not attorneys licensed to practice law in Minnesota and may not give legal advice or accept fees for legal advice per Minnesota Statute 359.062.